Main Article Content
The research aimed at finding out information about the preparation of constructing teacher-made tests in Enrekang, the quality of English teacher-made test according to item analysis, and the level cognitive domain of the teacher-made test. The test quality was determined after it was used in school examination test. This research employed survey research using descriptive method. The researcher analyzed the data and then described the research finding quantitatively. The population of this research was the teachers who teach in ninth grade at junior high schools in Enrekang. This research applied simple random sampling technique by taking four different schools as sampel. The results of analysis show preparation that junior high school teachers follow in constructing teacher-made tests in Enrekang is divided into five main parts. In preparing the test, the procedures were considering tests’ materials and proportion of each topic, choosing to check the item bank that match to syllabus and indicators, or preparing test specification. In writing test, teachers’ procedures were re-writing chosen test item from internet and textbook, re-writing items that was used before and allowing the other teachers to verify it, combining items from item bank and text book, or making new item. While in analyzing a test, the procedures used by the teachers were analyzing and revising test based on its item difficulty, predicting the item difficulty and revising the test, or doing nothing to analyze the test. About the timing in preparing the test, there are three out of five teachers who need only one week to construct multiple choice tests. Besides, there are two out of five teachers who need two weeks to construct multiple choice tests. While the teachers have different ways in providing test based on students’ ability. Moreover, the item analysis shows that no test is perfectly good. It was found that almost all tests need to be revised. It was also found that there were only three categories works in all tests based on the cognitive domain of the test namely knowledge, comprehension, and application categories. There was no item belong to analysis, synthesis, and evaluation categories.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the Foster JELT, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with Foster JELT agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the Foster JELT right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the Foster JELT published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Alauddin. 2002. The Analysis of The Teacher Made Multiple Choice English Test for The Students of State SMU in Polewali Sub-District. Unpublished Thesis. Universitas Negeri Makassar
- Anggraeni, W., Wahibah, & Assafari, A. F. (2020). Teachers’ Strategies in Teaching Speaking Skills at SMAN 1 Palopo. FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(1), 83–97. https://doi.org/10.24256/foster-jelt.v1i1.9Arikunto, S. 2009. Dasar-dasar Evaluasi Pendidikan (Edisi Revisi). Jakarta: Bumi Aksara.
- Bachman, Lyle F. & Palmer, Andrian S. 1996. Language Testing in Practice: Designing and Developing Language Tests. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Bloom, B.S. 1956. Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, Handbook I: The Cognitive Domain. New York: David McKay Co Inc.
- Gensler, Howard J. 2012. Valid Objective Test Construction. St. John’s Law Review: Volume 60: Issue 2, Article 2. Retrieved at: http://scholarship.law.stjohns.edu/lawreview/vol60/iss2/2
- Hadi, S. 2004. Statistik (jilid 2). Yogyakarta: Penerbit Andi.
- Heaton, J. B. 1990. Writing English Language Tests, New Edition. New York: Longman Inc.
- Hughes, Arthur. 1992 & 2003. Testing for Language Teachers. 1st & 2nd Edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Idaka, I. E., Bassey, S. W., and Ayang, E. 2008. Test as A Stethoscope: the Need for Adequate Training and Re-Training in Educational Test and Measurement. Global Journal of Educational Research, Volume 7. Retrieved from http: //www. globaljournalseries.com/ index /index.php /gjer/article/viewFile/110/pdf
- Iksan, M. (2017). EMPOWERING BUSINESS GROUP PEANUT TENTENG. Proceeding International Conference on Natural and Social Science (ICONSS) 2017, 1(1).
- Iksan, M., & Dirham, D. (2018). The Influence of the Economic Students’ Motivations and Language Learning Strategies towards Their English Achievement in STIE Muhammadiyah Palopo. Ethical Lingua: Journal of Language Teaching and Literature, 5(1), 110–121.
- Irvy, I. I. (2020). Understanding the Learning Models Design for Indonesian Teacher. International Journal of Asian Education, 1(2), 95–106. https://doi.org/10.46966/ijae.v1i2.40
- Izard, John. 2005. Trial Testing and Item Analysis in Test Construction: Quantitative Research Methods in Educational Planning. Retrieved from http://www.sacmeq.org/downloads/modules/module7.pdf
- Jabu, Baso. 2008. English Language Testing. Makassar: Badan Penerbit UNM.
- Jh, S., & Baderiah. (2020). Learning Evaluation Management: Improving The Quality of Graduates in State Islamic Institute of Palopo. International Journal of Asian Education, 1(2), 61–72. https://doi.org/10.46966/ijae.v1i2.39
- Kiswantani, L. 2010. An Analysis on Final English Test Validity of the Seventh Year of Bilingual Program of SMPN 2 Jepara Based on School Level - Based Curriculum and the Distribution if Cognitive Level in 2008-2009 Academic Year. Unpublished Research Paper. Surakarta: School of Teacher Training and Education, Muhammadiyah University of Surakarta. Retrived from http://etd.eprints.ums.ac.id/7178/ on 24 Desember 2010 at 20.32.
- Kubiszyn, Tom, and Borich, Gary. 2003. Educational Testing and Measurement: Classroom Application and Practice, 7th Edition. United State of America: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Kuma. 2011. Test Construction Skill and Assessment of Factors Affecting Test Analysis and Evaluation Methods: the Case of Three Selected High School in Addis Ababa. Retrieved from http:// etd.aau.edu.et/ dspace/ bitstream/ 123456789/3702/1/Meseret%20Kuma.pdf.
- Mansyur. 2009. Assesmen Pembelajaran di Sekolah. Yogyakarta: Multi Pressindo.
- Magno, Carlo. 2003. The Profile of Teacher-Made Test Construction of the Professors of University of Perpetual Help Laguna. UPHL Institutional Journal Volume 1. Retrieved from http:// id.scribd.com/ document _downloads/direct/7790173?extension=pdf&ft=1358914263<=1358917873&uahk=WuKrTILhh7GjLfPrkzhWLOxzJNk
- Marfuah, R. 2008. An Analysis of English Test Validity of the First Year of SMAN 1 Purbalingga Based on the School-Based Curriculum and The Distribution of Their Cognitive Level. Unpublished Research Paper. Surakarta: School of Teacher Training and Education, Muhammadiyah University of Surakarta. Retrieved from http://etd.eprints.ums.ac.id/689/ on 24 Desember 2010 at 20.32.
- Mujiyanto. 2007. Analisis Butir Soal Ulangan Akhir Semester Bidang Studi Ilmu Pengetahuan Alam (IPA) Kelas VIII Semester Gasal Sekolah Menengah Pertama Negeri 1 Sukorejo Kabupaten Kendal Tahun Pelajaran 2006/2007. Skripsi Unpublished. Semarang: Fakultas Ilmu Pendidikan Universitas Negeri Semarang. Retrieved from http://digilib.unnes.ac.id/gsdl/collect/skripsi/archives/HASH0116/d4cad345.dir/doc on 10 Desember 2010 at 21.31.
- Musbaing. (2020). Educational Policy: Understanding Tri Pusat Pendidikan (Education Centers) as Efforts to Reach Educational Objectives. International Journal of Asian Education, 1(2), 53–60. https://doi.org/10.46966/ijae.v1i2.35
- Nurdin, K., Muh, H. S., & Muhammad, M. H. (2019). THE IMPLEMENTATION OF INQUIRY-DISCOVERY LEARNING. IDEAS: Journal on English Language Teaching and Learning, Linguistics and Literature, 7(1).
- Sagita, R. J., Sahraini, & Syam, A. T. (2020). Designing English Syllabus for Islamic Education Study Program at IAIN Palopo. FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(1), 15–28. https://doi.org/10.24256/foster-jelt.v1i1.4
- Nitko, Anthony J. 2001. Educational Assessment of Student, 3rd edition. New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Popham, W. James. 2001. The Truth about Testing: An Educator Call to Action. Virginia: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Rahman, Motiour., and Gautam, Arvind Kumar. 2012. Testing and Evaluation: A Significant Characteristic of Language Learning and Teaching. Language in India Journal, Volume 12. Retrieved from http:// www. languageinindia.com/jan2012/motiurtestingevaluationfinal.pdf.
- Secolsky, Charles. 1987. On the Direct Measurement of Face Validity: A Comment on Nevo. Journal of Educational Measurement Vol.24 No. 1. Retrieved from: http:// staff.neu.edu.tr/ ~cise.cavusoglu/ Documents/ Advaced%20Research%20Methods/Quantitative/Secolsky%20direct% 20 measurement% 20of%20face%20validity.pdf
- Sudjiono, Anas. 1996. Pengantar Evaluasi Pendidikan. Jakarta: PT. Raja Grafindo Persada.
- Sudijono, A. 2009. Pengantar Evaluasi Pendidikan. Jakarta: Rajawali Press
- Suhuri. 2008. Model Evaluasi Pembelajaran Bahasa Inggris SMA. Unpublished Dissertation. Yogyakarta: Program Pascasarjana Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta. Retrieved from http://www.damandiri.or.id/detail.php?id=820 on 4 November 2010 at 14.21.
- Zhang, Zhicheng., and Burry-Stock, Judith A. 2003. Classroom Assessment Practices and Teachers’ Self-Perceived Assessment Skills. Published Thesis. Retrieved from http:// www.esf.edu/ assessment/ documents/ assessmentpracticesandtskills.pdf.