Main Article Content
The researcher aimed to conduct this research due particular in students reading comprehension at Mts N Ganting Padang Panjang. The researcher found the problems that first, students interest in reading a text was still lacking. Second, students still have difficulty in reading comprehension. Third, students had a lack of vocabularies in translating the meaning of the word. Therefore, this research is to know how the teacher applies the ESA technique on reading comprehension. The research aimed to analyze teacher apply ESA technique on reading comprehension. This research used a descriptive qualitative research design. The object of this research were two English teachers in Mts N Ganting Padang Panjang. The instruments of this research were questionnaire and interview. The result of the research showed that ESA technique is suitable and effective for reading comprehension that can be seen from teacher apply ESA technique on reading comprehension. Engage, in this elements the teacher motivate students and active their background knowledge. The study, in this elements teacher, focus on the topic in the text and guide students in understanding the content of the text. Activate, in this elements teacher gives exercises and assignment to students, then concludes the contents of the text that has been learned.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Acklam, Robertson. 2000. Action for Teacher : a guide to teach english. London: BBC World.
- Anwar, L., Furwana, D., & Iksan, M. (2020). Developing Reading Worksheet for Tenth Grade Students of SMA Negeri 4 Palopo. FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(1), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.24256/foster-jelt.v1i1.2
- Arikunto, Suharsimi. 2013. ManajemenPenelitian. Jakarta: RinekaCipta.
- Ary, Donald.1985.Introduction to Research Education Third Edition. New York
- Bleman, Barbara. 2009. Studying Narrative. London: English and Media Centre.
- Dallman,Maltha. 1964. The Teaching of Reading. America: HolsRenchart and Winston.
- D.Danny, Steinberg, Hiroshi and David P. Aline. 2001. Psycholinguistic: Lanuage, Mind, and World. London: Pearson Longman
- DenikNgaisyatulMunawarohSuardiono 2014/2015, jurnal “Improving Students Writing Skill Using ESA Technique” on the eight grade of SMP N 2 Gemolong
- Downing, Angela Rothwell. 1998. PATTERNS in Discourse and Text. Spain: C.I.D.I.
- Gay, L.R. 1990 Educational Research: Competencies from Analysis and Application Third Edition. Singapore: Mncmilln Publishing Company.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 2004. How to Teach English. London: Pearson Longman.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 2007. How to Teach English. (London: Pearson Longman).
- Harmer, Jeremy. 2007. How to Teach English Second Edition. UK: Stenton Association.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 2007. The Practice of English Language. New York : Longman Publishing.
- Iksan, M., & Duriani. (2015). A Survey of Students’ Language Learning Strategies and Their English Learning Achievement in SMA Negeri 1 Palopo. IDEAS: Journal on English Language Teaching and Learning, Linguistics and Literature, 3(2), 12–27. https://doi.org/10.24256/ideas.v3i2.146
- Margono. 2007. MetodologiPenelitianPendidikan. Jakarta: P.T Rineka Cipta.
- Nunan, David . 2003. Practical English Language Teaching. (New York: Mc Craw Hill)
- Nuttal, Cristine. 1985. Teaching Reading Skill in a Foreign Language. London: Heinermann Educational Books.
- Osamu, Judith. 1986. Reading Comprehension from Research to Practice. New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Penny Ur. 1996. A Course in English Language Teaching. United Kingdom: Cambridge University.
- Reinking, James and Andrew W. Hart. 1986. Strategies for Successful Writing. New Jersey : Englewood.
- Sarigih,Rahmadayani. 2015/2016, jurnal“ The Effect of ESA Technique the Students Achievement in Writing Narrative Text” second grade of SMP N 1 SeiRampah
- Shokri, Hadi. 2017. Investigating The Effect of Harmer’s ESA Elements on reading comprehension of Iranian EFL learners: A task based approach. International Journal of English Language and Translation Studies.
- Sugiyono. 2011. Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif dan R&D. Bandung: Alfabeta.
- Sukardi.2014. MetodologiPenelitianPendidikanKompetensidanPraktiknya. Jakarta: PT Bumi Aksara.