Main Article Content
This research aimed to find out the correlation beetwen students’ motivation and their learning style in speaking subject. The questions of the research is “How does the correlation beetwen students motivation and their learning style in speaking class at the English Students of Sawerigading University of Makassar?”.
Questionnaires were distributed to 42 students, while the questionnaire of students’ motivation and learning style consisted of 20 questions of each variable in the form of questions, from each of the questions was followed by 5 (five) alternative answers that consecutively very Strongly Agree (SA), Agree (A), Undecided (U), Disagree (D) and Strongly Disagree (SD) with consecutive scores 5,4,3,2 and 1. While the value obtained from the students’ motivation instrument. To get the data, researcher used a questionnaire with 20 items about distributed to 20 sample respondents.
The result of findings about correlation between students’ motivation and their learning style in speaking class at the third semester students of Sawerigading University of Makassar, compared prices count with r-r- table. With the 5% significance level of 0.288 was obtained rtable rhitung at 0.882. When compared both rhitung = 0.882> rtable = 0.288, so that Ho accepted and Hi rejected or the correlation between students’ motivation and their learning style in speaking class was 0.882. This meant that correlation between them was strong correlation.
Keywords : Motivation, Learning style. Speaking
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Arikunto, Suharsimi. 2002. Metodologi Penelitian. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.
- Anni, Chatarina Tri. 2007. Psikologi Belajar. Semarang; UPT MKK UNNES.
- Brown, Douglas. 1982. Principle of Language Learning and Teaching. Englewood CLIFFS. New Jersey. Patrice Hall inc.
- Chang, Ya-Ching. 2010. Thesis. Students’ Perceptions of Teaching Styles and Use of Learning Strategies. Thesis Master of Science Degree University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- DePorter, Bobbi & Mike Hernacki. 2002. Quantum Learning: Membiasakan Belajar Nyaman dan Menyenangkan. Bandung: Kaifa.
- Djamarah, Bahri. 2006. Srategi Belajar Mengajar, Jakarta: PT. Rineka Cipta.
- Fitriani. 2012. Improving the Students’ Motivation in Learning English Through Roundtable Technique. Thesis FKIP Makassar Muhammadiyah University.
- Fromkin, Victoria, and Rodman. 1883. An Introduction to Language Third Edition: Holt, Rinerhart and Winston.
- Gay, LR. 2006. Educational Research, Competences for Analysis and Application, 8th Edition. Olumbus: Merril Prentice Hall.
- Harmer, J. 1991. The practice of English language teaching. New York: Longman Inc.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 2007. The Practice of English Language Teaching (4th ed.).Essex: Pearson Education.
- Hornby, A.S. (1995). Oxford Advance Learners’ Dictionary. London: Oxford University Press.
- Hornby, A.S. 2006. Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kusumawati, Fina Hajar. 2014. Students’ Motivation In Learning English In Man Kunir Wonodadi Blitar. Thesis. FTIK State Islamic Institute (Iain) Tulungagung.
- MacKeracher, D. 2004. Making sense of adult learning, (2nd ed.). Canada: University of Toronto Press Incorporated.
- Makmun, Abin Syamsudin. 2007. Psikologi Kependidikan; Perangkat SistemPengajaran Modul. Cetakan ke 10. Bandung. PT Remaja Rosdakarya
- Manser, Martin H. 1991. Teaching and learning Languages New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Nunan, David . 1993. Designing Task for Communication classroom. New York: Cambridge University press.
- Nurakhirah. 2014. The Students’ Motivation in Learning English at Outdoor. Thesis FKIP Makassar Muhammadiyah University
- Pintrich P, Schunk D. 2002. Motivation in Edu-cation. Theory, Research, and Applications. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill/Prentice Hall. 2nd ed.
- Prasetya, Fajar Dwi. 2012. Pengaruh Gaya Belajar Terhadap Prestasi Belajar Mata Diklat Listrik Otomotif Siswa Kelas XI Teknik Perbaikan Bodi Otomotif SMKN 2 Depok Sleman. Thesis FT Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta.
- Rachman, Maman. 1999. Manajemen Kelas. Indonesia: Departemen Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan Direktorat Jenderal Pendidikan Tinggi Proyek Pendidikan Guru Sekolah Dasar.
- Rahmawati. 2012. Improving the Students’ motivation in Speaking through Peer Interview. Thesis FKIP UNISMUH Makassar.
- Rofiatulumah. 2014. A Descriptive Analysis of Students’ Anxiety on Presentation Performance in Teaching-Learning Process. Thesis FKIP STAIN Salatiga
- S. Nasution. (2003). Berbagai Pendekatan Dalam Proses Belajar dan Mengajar. Jakarta: Bumi Aksara.
- Sakka, F. B. 2013. The Students’ Motivation in Using English Language Teaching Podcast in Teaching Listening at Class XI MA Guppi Samata Gowa. Thesis FKIP Makassar Muhammadiyah University
- Sardiman, AM. 2011. Interaksi dan Motivasi Belajar Mengajar. Jakarta: PT Raja Grafindo Persada.
- Sobour, Alex. 2003. Psikologi Umum dalam Lintasan Sejarah. Bandung: CV
- Pustaka Setia.
- Sugihartono. (2007). Psikologi Pendidikan. Yogyakarta: UNY Press.
- Sugiyono.2013. Metode Penelitian Pendidikan. Bandung. Alfabeta.
- Suherman, Erman dkk., 2003, Strategi Pembelajaran Matematika Kontemporer, Jakarta: Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia.
- Suryabrata, Sumadi. 2011. Psikologi Pendidikan. Jakarta: PT Raja Grafindo Persada.
- Webster, Noah 1996. Webster’s Third New International Dictionary. Gove and Merriam Company Publisher. Springfield, Massachusetts, USA.
- Widdowson. H.G. 1978. Teaching Language as Communication. London: Oxford. University Press.
- Zuna’im, Dihliz. 2013. Strategy Based Student’s Choice Dengan Preferensi Sensori: Visual, Auditori dan Kinestetik Untuk Meningkatkan Motivasi dan Prestasi Belajar Pada Mata Pelajaran Al-Qur’an Hadis. Thesis Magister Pendidikan Islam STAIN Salatiga.