Main Article Content
This research focused on using Show and Tell techniques to develop students’ speaking skills at Eleventh class of SMA Negeri 2 Palopo. The researcher used pre-experimental method. The population of this research is 157 students of XI class. The research sample is chosen purposively and got the XI IPA1 consisting of 35 students. In collecting the data, the researcher used speaking observations, divided into pre-survey and post-survey. After giving pre-survey and post-survey, this research provides pre-survey and post-survey to students. Data were analyzed using SPSS program version 20. The results of the study indicated that the use of Show and Tell Technique is effective for improving students’ speaking skills. It can be seen calculation results that the scores of students in the control class. Based on the analysis of the data it can be concluded that the teaching skills of speaking using Show and Tell Techniques at Eleventh class of SMA Negeri 2 Palopo. The implementation of this research for those who are interested in conducting research on problem statements, it is recommended to apply it to students who have basic speaking language skills and researchers hope that the results of this study can be beneficial to readers.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the Foster JELT, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with Foster JELT agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the Foster JELT right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the Foster JELT published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Ag. Bambang Setiyadi, Teaching English as Foreign Language, Jakarta: Terpadu 2006
- Anonym, http://www.buzzle.com/articles/oral-communication-skills.html, accessed on January 16th 2014 at 10.42 am.
- Artono Wadirma, et Al, English in Focus: For Grade VII Junior High School (SMP/MTS), (Jakarta: Pusat Perbukuan, DEPDIKNAS, 2008)
- Anwar, L., Furwana, D., & Iksan, M. (2020). Developing Reading Worksheet for Tenth Grade Students of SMA Negeri 4 Palopo. FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(1), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.24256/foster-jelt.v1i1.2
- Christine C. M. Goh, Teaching Speaking in the Language Classroom, RELC Porthfolio series 15
- Daryanto, Evaluasi Pendidikan (Jakarta PT. Rineka Cipta, 2007)
- Djalius Syah, International English Conversation
- Eka Ningsih, Improving Speaking Skill by Using Classroom Observation Technique at the Eight Year in SMP PMDS Putra Palopo, (Palopo: STAIN Palopo, 2013, )
- Eka Trislijayanti, Penggunaan Metode Show And Tell Dalam Pembelajaran Bahasa Indonesia Untuk Meningkatkan Keterampilan Berbicara Siswa Kelas VII.C di SMP Negeri 1 Seririt Tahun Ajaran 2014/2015
- Foley J. A., New Dimension in the Teaching of Oral Communication, (Singapore: SEAMEO, Regional Language Centre, 2005)
- H. Dougles Brown, Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. (Ed II; San Fransisco: Addison Wesley Longman Inc., 2001), p. 268
- H. Martin Manser, Oxford Learners Pocket Dictionary, (New Edition ; 1995)
- Hebert H. Clark, Psychology and Language. (United State of America: Harcoun Brace Joranovicz, ich., 1997)
- Hebert H. Clark and Eve V Clark, Psychology and Language, (United State of America: Harcount Brace Joranovich, ich., 1997), p. 223
- Iksan, M. (2017). EMPOWERING BUSINESS GROUP PEANUT TENTENG. Proceeding International Conference on Natural and Social Science (ICONSS) 2017, 1(1).
- Irvy, I. I. (2020). Understanding the Learning Models Design for Indonesian Teacher. International Journal of Asian Education, 1(2), 95–106. https://doi.org/10.46966/ijae.v1i2.40
- Imelda Wardi, Haan Basri, Abdul Waris, Improving The Ability in Writing Descriptive Text Trought Guided Question Technique, Jurnal of English Language Teaching Society (ELTS) Vol. 2, No 1, 2014
- J.B Heaton, Writing English Language Test (Ed. I: New York Inc, 1998)
- Jack C. Richards, Teaching Listening and Speaking from Theory to Practice (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2008)
- Jack C. Richard and Willy A. Renandya, Methodology In Language Teaching (Ed. I: New York Cambridge University Press, 2002)
- Leni Widia, I Nengah Astawa, Improving Speaking Skill Through Task Based Learning Strategy (Jurnal Santiaji Pendidikan, Vol. 4 , Nomor I, at Seventh Grade Students of SMP Negeri 3 Baturiti in Academy year 2014)
- M. Basri Wello and Hafsah Amin J. Nur, An Introduction to ESP. (Ujung Pandang: Sunu Baraya, 1999)
- Muhammad Rasyid and Hafsah Amin J. Nur, Teaching English and Foreign Language
- Nasikhatun Listya Atika Farah, Improving the Student’s English Speaking Skills Through Show and Tell method, (Universitas Madura: Madura 2016)
- Nurvitasyari, The Use of Show and Tell (S&T) Method in Teaching Vocabulary at the Second Year Students of Junior High School (SMP) Negeri 4 Galesong Selatan Kabupaten Takalar, 2017
- Penny Ur, A., Course in Learning Teaching, Practice and Theory, (Great Britain: Cambridge University Press, 1996)
- Siti Nurbaya, dkk, Improving Students Speaking Ability Through Role Play, (Tanjung Pura University: Pontianak 2015)
- Siti Sadatul Fajriah, the Effect of Mind Mapping Technique on Students’ Writing of Descriptive Text, A Thesis, (Jakarta: Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University 2017)
- Sugiyono, Metode Penelitian Pendidikan: Pendekatan Kuantitatif, Kualitatif, Dan R&D (Bandung:Alfabeta) P. 2015
- Wilga M. Rivers, Teaching Foreign Language Skill, (Ed. II. London: The University of Chicago Press, 1981)
- Willy A Renandya and Jack C Richards, Teaching Speakingin the Language Classroom, RELC portopolio series
- Wulandari, Indarti A, Meningkatkan rasa percaya diri anak usia dini melalui metode Show and Tell, Subdistrict Sukasari, Bandung City School Year 2014/2015