Main Article Content
This research aimed to reveal the effectiveness of using the Inside-Outside Circle Technique in teaching speaking. Based on the observation in January 2021, the researcher found several problems. First, students lacked vocabulary. Second, students were not speaking fluently. And the last, some students speaking skills were still varied. Thus, the researcher has done the research in SMKN 1 Baso to know whether the use inside-outside circle technique is effective or not toward students speaking ability. This research was descriptive-quantitative. The researcher used purposive sampling to determine the sample because the researcher has some consideration to determine the samples. The researcher chose two of six classes as the sample. The sample in this research was 42 students of class X AKL and X PKM. The technique of data collection in this research was documentation. The research results show that using the inside-outside circle technique is effective in teaching speaking. The percentage of the students was between 61-80 %, with the mean score calculated as 78,59, with the rating quality being effective. It means the data proved that the inside-outside circle technique is effective in teaching speaking in 10th grade of SMKN 1 Baso.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Arikunto, S. (2010). Prosedur Penelitian Suatu Pendekatan Praktik. Rineka Cipta.
- Bailey, K., & Nunan, D. (2004). Practical English Language Teaching Speaking. McGraw-Hill.
- Creswell, J. W. (2011). Educational Research Planning, Conducting and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research. Pearson Education, Inc.
- Fitrianingsih, S., & Sholihah, L. (2017). The Influence of Using Inside-Outside Circle (IOC) Technique Toward Students' Speaking Ability at the Second Year of MA Negeri 1 East Lampung. Universitas Muhammadiyah, 5, 143.
- Gunawan, M. A. (2015). Statistik Penelitian Bidang Pendidikan, Psikologi Dan Sosial. Parama Publishing.
- Hughes, A. (2003). Testing for Language Teachers. Cambridge University Press.
- Jolliffe, W. (2007). Cooperative Learning In The Classroom Putting Into Practice. Paul Chapman Publishing.
- Kagan, S. (2009). Kagan Cooperative Learning. Kagan Publishing.
- Mills, G. E., & Gay, L. . (2012). Educational Research Competencies For Analysis And Applications,. Pearson Education Limited.
- Muijs, D. (2004). Doing Quantitative Research in Education. SAGE Publications.
- Nunan, D. (2003). Practical English Language Teaching. Mcgraw-Hill.
- Saputri, D. A., Sale, F., & Siam. (2020). The Effect Of Inside-Outside Circle (Ioc) Technique On Students' Speaking Ability At Sma Negeri 1 Kabangka. Halu Oleo University, 161.
- Sari, D. R., & Amrozi, F. (2020). Analisis Efektifitas Pembelajaran Jarak Jauh (PJJ). Jurnal Penelitian Politeknik Penerbangan, 5, 4.
- Sugiyono. (2009). Metode Penelitian Pendidikan Pendekatan Kuantitatif, Kualitatif dan R&D.
- Sulung, S., Y, Y. G. S., & Arifin, Z. (2017). Technique, Encouraging Students To Speak Through Inside-Outside Circle. Jurnal Pendidikan dan Pembelajaran Khatulistiwa, 3.
- Ulfah, N., & Pujihartono, L. G. (2017). Improving the Students' Speaking Ability in Conversational Activity through Inside Outside Circle Technique. Jurnal Dialektika, 5, 97.
- Ur, P. (2009). A Course In Language Teaching ; Practice And Theory. Cambridge University.
- Wahyuni, D. S., Mukhaiya, & Kusn. (2013). Improving Students' Speaking Skill By Using Inside-Outside Circle Technique. UNP, 21.