Main Article Content
The aim of the research was to find out students’ spelling errors and the causes of spelling errors in writing. Writing spelling correctly is important in order to not make misunderstanding for the reader and writer. In field, researcher found some problem at related to students’ spelling errors. Most of students were not interested when they wrote spell correctly. Then, most of students were doubt in the letter that have same sound. The last was most of students often wrote Indonesian spelling in writing English that have similiar sound. The purposes of this research based on three research questions were to find out the kinds of error in spelling, the most common spelling error, and the causes of spelling error were made by students in writing.
In this research, the researcher used mix method research by using descriptive design. The mix method was the combination of qualitative research and quantitative research. Quantitative research was used to answer the kind of students’ spelling error in writing and most common of error in writing. Qualitative research was used to know the causes of students’ spelling error in writing. The informants of this research was the students of VIII-1 class in SMP N 2 Kamang Magek. The total was 22 students. The data was got through documentation and interview. Documentation was used to get quantitative data and interview was used to get qualitative data. The researcher asked the students’ writing to the teacher as a documentation. The interview was done directly and indirectly because of the pandemi.
The result of the research showed that there were 184 spelling errors from 22 students. There were nine kinds of spelling error such as omission of letter, addition of letter, single letter instead of double letter, double letter instead of single letter, substitution of letter, interchange of two adjacent of letter, involving an apostrophe, multiple error. Therefore, the most common spelling error was substitution of letter which students changed letter incorrectly with 35,3% percentage. Moreover, there were some reasons why the students of SMP N 2 Kamang Magek made spelling error. The first was the difficulties between spoken and written form in English, it made students were not able to remember the spelling. Second was most of students were influenced by students’ first language when they wrote spelling. The last was lack of students’ desire to write correct spelling.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Al-Jarf, R. (2010). Spelling error corpora in EFL. Sino-US English Teaching, 7(173), 6--15.
- Al-khresheh, M. H. (2016). A review study of contrastive analysis theory. Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 2(6), 49–59. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-2.6.5
- Al-zuoud, K. M., & K. Kabilan, M. (2013). Investigating Jordanian EFL Students’ Spelling Errors at Tertiary Level. International Journal of Linguistics, 5(3), 164. https://doi.org/10.5296/ijl.v5i3.3932
- Bestgen, Yves and Granger, S. (2011). Categorising spelling errors to assess L2 writing. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life Long Learning, 21(2–3), 235--252. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJCEELL.2011.040201
- Esther, M. and others. (2015). Spelling Errors: Causes, Influence on Students’ Performance in English Language Essay Writing and Strategies for Correcting Them. International Journal of Case Studies, 4(8), 66–70. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3529886
- Harmer, J. (2001). The Practice of English Language Teaching 3rd Jeremy Harmer. Pearson Education ESL; 3rd edition (April 10, 2001).
- Keshavarz, M. (2012). Contrastive analysis or error analysis (New edition). In Tehran, Iran: Rahnama Press.
- Klimova, B. F. (2011). Evaluating writing in english as a second language. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 28(December 2011), 390–394. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.11.074
- Mettaningrum, G., Dantes, & Suarnajaya. (2013). The effect of journal writing technique and students’ achievement motivation toward writing achievement of the fourth semester students of English Education Department of Undiksha. E-Journal Program Pascasarjana Universitas Pendidikan Ganesha, 1, 1–10. http://pasca.undiksha.ac.id/e-journal/index.php/jpbi/article/view/570
- Perveen, U., & Akram, F. (2014). A Comparative Study to Know the Causes of Spelling Errors Committed by Learners of English at Elementary Level in Distract Kasur and Lahore in Pakistan. European Academic Research, II(2), 2601–2622.
- Straus, J., Examples, R., & Quizzes, R. (2014). Blue Book_Grammar and Punctuation.
- Sudijono, A. (2010). Pengantar Statistik Pendidikan. PT. Raja Grafindo Persada.
- Sugiyono. (2009). Metode penelitian kuantitatif dan kualitatif dan R&D. CV. ALVABETA.