Main Article Content
The purpose of this research was to find out whether the use of story mapping technique effective to improve students’ writing recount text at the first grade of SMAN 1 Palopo. This research applied quasi experimental. The research was carried out in two classes, experimental and control classes. The population of this research was the first grade students of SMAN 1 Palopo. The samples of this research were Class X MIPA 2 as a control class and Class X IPA 3 as experimental class. The sampling technique in this research was random sampling. The instrument of this research was writing test. The writer gave pretest and posttest to the students. The data was analyzed by using SPSS 20.The result of this research showed that the use of story mapping technique in teaching writing recount text is effective. It could be seen from the result of calculation that the students’ score in experimental class which was higher than students’ score in control class. The mean score of posttest in experimental class was higher than the mean score of pretest (76.7667>61.6667). While in control class the mean score of posttest was also higher than the mean score of pretest (71.0667>67.8000). It means that there was significant difference between the students’ score in teaching writing recount text by using story mapping technique and students’ score in teaching writing recount text without using story mapping technique at the first grade of SMAN 1 Palopo.
Anggraeni, W., Wahibah, & Assafari, A. F. (2020). Teachers’ Strategies in Teaching Speaking Skills at SMAN 1 Palopo. FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(1), 83–97. https://doi.org/10.24256/foster-jelt.v1i1.9
Anwar, L., Furwana, D., & Iksan, M. (2020). Developing Reading Worksheet for Tenth Grade Students of SMA Negeri 4 Palopo. FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(1), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.24256/foster-jelt.v1i1.2
Akbar, Muhammad, 2008, Improving studentss writing skill through pair interview at the eleventh year students of SMAN 2 PALOPO, a thesis STAIN PALOPO 2008
Byrne, Donn. 1984. Teaching Writing Skills-new edition. London: Longman
Bram, Barly. 1995. Write well .Yogyakarta: Kanisius
Brown, H. Douglas. 1994. Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. Englewood Cliff: Prentice Hall.
Chen S, Zhou J. 2010. Creative Writing Strategies of Young Children: Evidence from a Study of Chinese Emergent Writing. Amsterdam: Elseiver.
Fromkin, Victoria and Robert Rodman, 1993, an introduction to language, fifth edition, Harcourt brace Jovanovich college publisher
Flynn, Naomi & Rhona Stainthorp. The Learning and teaching of reading and Writing. West Sussex: Whurr Publisher, 2006.
Hartono, R. (2005). Genre of texts. Semarang: English Department Faculty of Language and Art Semarang State University.
Hedge, Tricia. Resource books for Teachers. Hong Kong: Oxford University press, 1988.
Heaton J.B, writing English language test (new edition). (Longman inc. new York, 1988), p.135
Harmer, Jeremy. 2001. How to Teach English: An Introduction to the Practice of English Language Teaching. Malaysia: Longman.
Irvy, I. I. (2020). Understanding the Learning Models Design for Indonesian Teacher. International Journal of Asian Education, 1(2), 95–106. https://doi.org/10.46966/ijae.v1i2.40
Leo Sutanto, English for academic purpose, essay writing, Penerbit andi, p.1
Li, D. (2007). Story mapping and its effect on the writing fluency and word diversity of students with learning disabilities, Learning Disabilities: A Contemporary Journal, 5(1), 42-50.
Nilmah, 2009, contribution of parallel writing technique to develop student’s writing skill at the eleventh year students of SMAN BUPON, a thesis STAIN PALOPO
Oshima & Hogue. 1997. Introduction to Academic Writing-Second Edition. New York: Longman
Raimes, Ann. Techniques in Teaching Writing. New York: Oxford University Press, 1983.
Rahmat Idul, 2011, Improving Students’ Writing at the third year students of SMPN 8 PALOPO through describing picture in pairs, a thesis STAIN PALOPO.
Richards, Jack C. & Renandya, Willy A. 2002. Methodology in Language Teaching.
New York: Cambridge University Press.
Wahyuni Dini, 2015, Using Peer Teaching Strategy To Improve The Students Ability To Write Recount Text At The Tenth Year Students Of SMKN 1 MAPPADECENG, IAIN PALOPO.
Wardiman Anton, dkk, 2008, English in focus for grade VIII junior high school (SMP/MTS), Jakarta: Pusat Perbukuan,
Weigle, Sara Cushing. 2002. Assessing Writing. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Yunda Riska, (2017), Improving Students’ Ability in Writing Recount using anecdote technique, Syiah Kuala University, Banda Aceh.
Zygouris, Coe V & Glass, 2004. Story Mapping. FOR-PD’s Reading strategy of the month.
Yahya, A., Jaya, F. A. I., & Jufriadi. (2020). National Examination in SMPN 2 Palopo: A Case Study on Students’ Readiness in English Test. International Journal of Asian Education, 1(2), 107–116. https://doi.org/10.46966/ijae.v1i2.38
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the Foster JELT, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with Foster JELT agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the Foster JELT right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the Foster JELT published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.