Main Article Content
This thesis is about Improving Vocabulary Mastery of the Seventh Year Students Using Scattergories Game in SMP Negeri 8 Palopo. The problem statements of this research are Scattergories game effective in improving the students’ vocabulary mastery in SMP Negeri 8 Palopo. The objective of the research to find out whether or not s categories game effective in improving the students’ vocabulary mastery in SMP Negeri 8 Palopo. The research design used a pre-experimental design. The research instrument used a vocabulary test. From the findings, the researcher concluded that the use of the Scattergories game was effective in improving the vocabulary of students at SMP Negeri 8 Palopo. The increase in students' vocabulary after treatment, this can be proven by the results of the pre-test students with an average score of 58.8333 and an average post-test score of 85.7000, the value of t0 (t count) = 21.604 and df (degrees of freedom) based on these results, namely 21.604 ˃ 2.045, from these results the researcher concluded that t0 (t count) is higher than tt (t table), t0 ˃ tt. it means that there is a significant difference between vocabulary mastery before and after using the s categories game.
Anwar, L., Furwana, D., & Iksan, M. (2020). Developing Reading Worksheet for Tenth Grade Students of SMA Negeri 4 Palopo. FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(1), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.24256/foster-jelt.v1i1.2
Brown, H. Douglas, Language Assessment Principles and Classroom Practice, Pearson Longman (San Fransisco, California, 2003)
C. Richard, Jack, and Willy A. Renandaya, ‘Vocabulary in Langage Teaching’, Cambridge University Press, 1, 2002, 255
Efendi, Erfan, ‘The Use Of Games To Improve Vocabulary Mastery Erfan Efendi ( Mahasiswa Jurusan Bahasa Inggris FKIP UNISMA )’, 1.12 (2013), 1
F Allen, Virginia, Technique and Teaching Vocabulary, The Modern Language Journal (England: Oxford University, 1983)
Hadfield, Jill., ‘Elementary Vocabulary Games : A Collection of Vocabulary Games and Activities for Elementary Students of English’ (Longman, 1998), p. 4
Hasbro, ‘The Game Of Scattergories’, The EMT Journal, 2003
Herdianti, ‘Teaching Vocabulary Using Board Games; Scattergories Game And What Someone Does Game At Second Grade SMP Karya Bhakti Gadingrejo’ (Lampung University, 2019)
Khikmah, Nur, ‘The Use of Scattergories Board Game To Improve Students ’ Vocabulary Mastery and Reading Comprehension for the Eighth Year Students of SMP Islam Sudirman Ambarawa in the Academic Year of 2016 / 2017’ (IAIN Salatiga, 2016)
Husain, Muhammad Afif, ‘The Use Of Scattergories Game To Improve The Vocabulary Mastery ( A Quasi-Experimental Research in the Eighth Grade Students of SMP N 2 Demak in the Academic Year Faculty Of Languages And Arts’ (Semarang State University, 2017)
Iksan, M., & Palangngan, S. T. (2018). Pemberdayaan Remaja Masjid Sebagai Fasilitator Pembelajaran Bahasa Inggris di Desa Lestari Kecamatan Tomoni Kabupaten Luwu Timur. Prosiding, 3(1).
Iksan, M. (n.d.). A Survey of Students’language Learning Strategies and their English Learning Achievement in SMA Negeri 1 Palopo.
Iksan, M. (2017). Empowering Business Group Peanut Tenteng. Proceeding International Conference on Natural and Social Science (ICONSS) 2017, 1(1)
Indrawati, Nani, ‘Meningkatkan Kosakata Siswa Kelas VII.3 SMP Melalui Teknik Permainan’, Lintera, 2016, 2
Kim, Lee Su, ‘Creative Games for Language Class, English Teaching Forum’, 33.1 (1995), 33
Klimova, Blanka Frydrychova, ‘Games in the Teaching of English’, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 191.June (2015)
Marulis, Loren M., and Susan B. Neuman, The Effects of Vocabulary Intervention on Young Children’s Word Learning: A Meta-Analysis, Review of Educational Research (University of Michigan, 2010), LXXX
Maryam, Rohani, and Behzad Pourgharib, ‘The Effects of Using Games on English Vocabulary Learning’, Journal of Applied Linguistics and Language Research, 2.3 (2015), 39–47
Meyer, Laura L., and Norbert Schmitt, Vocabulary in Language Teaching, TESOL Quarterly (University of Nottingham, 2002), XXXVI
Nugroho, Muhammad Bagus, When English a Bell, Edisi Revi (Jakarta, 2016), LIII
Oxford Learner’s Pocket Dictionary 4th Edition (New York: Oxford University, 2008)
Pua, Carol, Dorothy Li, Cherie Lui, and Shirley Cheng, ‘Using Concept-Mapping as a Tool to Teach English Vocabulary for the Elementary Students’, Bulletin of Chinese, 2019, p. 2
Rodgers, Theodore, S Theodore, Maggie Jo, and St John, ‘Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching’ (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1987), p. 7
Rohmatillah, ‘A Study On Students’ Difficulties In Learning Vocabulary Rohmatillah’, Institut Agama Islam Negeri (IAIN) Raden Intan Lampung (IAIN Raden Intan Lampung, 2014)
Sugiyono, Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif Dan R & D, XXVI (Bandung: Alfabeta, 2018)
Susanto, Alpino, ‘The Teaching of Vocabulary: A Perspective’, Jurnal KATA, 1.2 (2017), 5–7
Talak-kiryk, Amy, ‘Using Games In A Foreign Language Classroom’, MA TESOL Collection., 1.1 (2010), 53
Thornbury, Scott, How to Teach Vocabulary.Pdf, ed. by Harlow (England: Bluestone Press, 2002)
Utami, Tri, Teaching Students Vocabulary (FKIP UMP, 2015)
Asria. (2014). Improving Students Vocabulary Through Head and Tall at The Seventh Year Students of SMP PMDS Putri Palopo. Palopo: STAIN Palopo.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the Foster JELT, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with Foster JELT agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the Foster JELT right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the Foster JELT published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.