Main Article Content
The study aimed to know the strategies used by teachers at S.M.A. Negeri 1 Palopo to teach speaking skills. This thesis employed Qualitative Method. The writer applied the purposive sampling technique to obtain the samples of the study. In getting data, the writer examined two English teachers in S.M.A. Negeri 1 Palopo. The writer also used observation-checklist, semi-structured interviews, and reports to get the data. The result of this study showed that teacher 1 used discussion, role-play, brainstorming, writing, conversation, blogging, picture description, and learning assignment. While teacher 2 used conversation, modeling, role-play, brainstorming, writing, questioning, reading, explaining, and playing ice hockey. Both teachers use various strategies in teaching speaking.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Anjaniputra, Ginanjar, A. (2013) Teacher's Strategies in Teaching Speaking to Students at Secondary Level. Journal of English and Education, 1(2), 1-8.
- Ahmadi, Abu and Prasetyo, Tri, Joko.2005.Learning Teaching Strategies .Bandung: PustakaSetia.
- Bashir, Marriam et al. 2011. Factor Affecting Students' English Speaking Skills. British Journal of Art and Social Sciences, 2:39-40.
- Brown, G., & Yule, G. (1999). Teaching the Spoken Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Brown, H. D. (2000). Principles of Language Learning and Teaching. New York: Longman.
- Bashir, Marriametal. 2011. Factor Effecting Students' English Speaking Skills. British Journal of Art and Social Sciences, 2:39-40.
- Chaney, A.L., and T.L. Burk. 1998. Teaching Oral Communication in Grades K-8. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Chamot. (1987). Language Learning Strategies: What Every Teacher Should Know. New York. Newbury House Publishers.
- Iksan, M., & Dirham, D. (2018). The Influence of the Economic Students' Motivations and Language Learning Strategies towards Their English Achievement in STIE Muhammadiyah Palopo. Ethical Lingua: Journal of Language Teaching and Literature, 5(1), 110–121. https://doi.org/10.30605/ethicallingua.v5i1.737
- Kayi, H. (2006). Teaching Speaking: Activities to Promote Speaking in a Second language. The Internet TESL 31 Journal, 12 (11).
- Killian, S. (2015). Top 10 Evidence-Based Teaching Strategies. http://www.evidencebasedteaching.org.au/evidence-based-teaching-strategies/
- Newton, J. and Nation, I.S.P. (2009). Teaching ESL/EFL Listening and Speaking. New York: Routledge.
- Nugroho, Adi. (2015). Teacher's Strategies in Teaching Speaking at L.P.K. Padma Widyanata. Satya Wacana Christian University. Unpublished Thesis.
- Nunan,D. (1995) ATLAS: Learning-Centered Communication. Boston: Heinle&Heinle.
- Nunan, D., (2003). Practical English Language Teaching. NY: McGraw-Hill
- Pratama, Y. and Awaliyah Y. Teacher's Strategies in Teaching Speaking to Young Learners. English Journal of Ibnu Khaldun university. Vol.17.No. 2. 2015.
- Presley. 2012. Beyond Direct Explanation: Transactional Instruction of Reading Comprehension Strategies. Elementary School Journal, 92, 511-554
- Reiser, R. A., & Dick, W. (1996). Instructional Planning: A Guide for Teacher, 2nd ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon
- Richards, J.C. (2008). Teaching Listening and Speaking: From Theory to Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Syafrizal and Rohmawati (2017) Teachers' Speaking Strategies at Vocational High School. The journal of English language Studies. Vol.2. No. 1
- Thornbury, S. (2005). How to Teach Speaking. England: Pearson Educational Limited.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 2007. The Practice Of English Language Teaching Fourth Edition. Harlow
- Valette,R.M.(1983).Modern Language Testing. NewYork: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc.
- William, M., & Burden, R. L. (2003). Psychology for Language Teachers: A Social Constructivist Approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Summers, D. (2003).Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Harlow: Longman
- Robiasih and Widyanigsih,2018 "Teacher's Strategies in Teaching Speaking Skill for Eleventh Grade Students at SMA BOPKRI 2 Yokyakarta" (Universitas Sarjana Wiyata Taman Siswa)
- Saliha, Tifani anis,2017" Teacher’s Strategies in Teaching Speaking at the Daffodils English course KampungInggris-Pare” (University of Nusantara PGRI Kediri)
- Richards, Jack C., & Willy A. Renandya. (2000). “Methodology in Language Teaching: An Anthology of Current Practice”. U.S.A.: Cambridge University Press
- Maulindar Khaira,Gani.A.,&Samad Abdul.(2019).” Teacher’s Strategies in Teaching speaking for Cadets in BP2IP Malahayati Aceh”.Universitas Syiah Kuala, Banda Aceh, Indonesia