Main Article Content
This thesis uses snowball to improve student reading with the research question, "How to use snowball throwing in SMPN's second-year students. This research employed Classroom Action Research (CAR) with cycles: first cycle, second cycle. Each cycle consists of four steps: planning. Acting, observing, reflecting. Four meetings during the research cycle. Class VIII, three samples of this study, consisted of 20 students. The study result revealed that Cycle 2 was better than Cycle one scores. During the lesson, the students showed great enthusiasm. Cycle 2's mean score is 82,75, and the percentage of student activity observation The student reading mastery increases after Cycle 2. The appropriate way to teach reading using snowball throwing is: (1) giving students more motivation to build confidence and spirit to study hard and be active in learning. (2) Before starting the learning process, more explanation of the material and giving the game than allowing the students to say what they do not understand. (3) Giving reward/gift for appreciation, (4) grouping students into a small group of 5 students. (5) Narrative text glossaries (6) Observers and writers were observing student activities. (7) Testing students to know the students ' improvement in reading after Using Snowball Throwing Learning (focus on the narrative text)
Agus Suprijono, Cooperative Learning Teori: dan Aplikasi PAIKEM, (Yogyakarta :Pustaka Pelajar,2013), p. 128.
Afia Malik,The Study Of Students Ability In Reading Comprehension By using SQ3R Technique(A Case Study), Makassar UNHAS,2005, P.19
Adeul fayani.http://adeulfayani.wordpress.com/narrative-text-2/ Accessed on may,19th 2019
Brown,et,al.,online,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cooperative_learning.Accessed on may,20th 2019
Bierce.Teaching writing skill. New york US.E. American Boor Company ESL/EFL (1976) P.4
Bowman,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_Comprehension. Accessed on may,18th 2019
Cristian Nuttal,Teaching Reading Skill in Foreign Language,(London, Crisstianuttal,1982),P.33
Cicik Kurniawati, BahasaInggris Program lmu Pengetahan Alam dan ilmu Pengetahuan Sosial untuk SMA/MA, (Surabaya; IntanPariwara, 2011), p 92-93
Dodi Irawan, the Effect of Using Snowball Throwing to Improve Students achievement in SAINS at the Forth Grade of Elementary School 013 Koto Tuo (University of Sultan Syarif Kasim Riau:2009)
David and Roger Johnson,Cooperative Learning,2011,Online http:/wwwclcrc. com/pages/cl.html.Accessed on may,20th 2019
David Cristal,A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics,(New York: Basil Blackwell Lid:1985).p.63
Dick King Smith.http://englishonline.tki.org.nz/English-Online/Teacher-needs/Review ed- resources/Reading/ Features-of-text-forms/Narrative.Accessed on may,18th 2019
Dean satriawan.http://deansatriawan.wordpress.comsnowball-throwing-teaching-technique/. Accessed on may,20th 2019
Fransoise Grallet, Developing Reading,(London:Cambridge: 1981).
Geoffrey Broughton,etal," Teaching English as a foreign Language",(London,1985), p.90.
H.DouglasBrown,Principle of Language Learning and Teaching, (fourth Edition;NewJersey:prentice hall international Limitid,1987),p.7.
IGAK Wardhani, et al., PenelitianTindakanKelas, (Cet. 11; Jakarta: Universitas Terbuka, 2010), p.1.4
Iksan, M. (n.d.). A SURVEY OF STUDENTS’LANGUAGE LEARNING STRATEGIES AND THEIR ENGLISH LEARNING ACHIEVEMENT IN SMA NEGERI 1 PALOPO.
Iksan, M., & Dirham, D. (2018). The Influence of the Economic Students’ Motivations and Language Learning Strategies towards Their English Achievement in STIE Muhammadiyah Palopo. Ethical Lingua: Journal of Language Teaching and Literature, 5(1), 110–121.
Ilham, D. (2020). The Challenge of Islamic Education and How to Change. International Journal of Asian Education, 1(1), 15–20. https://doi.org/10.46966/ijae.v1i1.16
IraPane.http//junal.unimed.ac.id.2012.index.phpelluarticleviewfile.13941152.ImprovingThe Students’Speaking Achievement in Narrative Text Through Snowball Throwing Model.Accessed on may,20th 2019
Jack C.Richards, Approaches and techniques in learning teaching, (cet.V111; New York: Cambridge university press, 1995), p.44.
Jeremy Harmer, The practice of Language Teaching, (Newyork: Longman, 1991) p.90
Kunandar,LangkahMudahPenelitianTindakanKelasSebagaiPengembanganProfesiGuru, (Jakarta; RajagrafindoPersada, 2008) p.279
Mangkuatmodjo, PengantarStatistik, (cet. 1, Jakarta: RinekaCipta 2003), p. 58
Muhammad anshari, http://www.muhammadanshari9.blogspot.com/2013/10/model-pembelajaran-snowbal-throwing.html.Accessed on may,16th2019
Minati," increasing the students'Reading Skill at the Second Year of SMA Negeri 1 Baebunta Through Anecdotes" (Papolo:ThesisUncokro Palopo,2009),p.30.
Markhelffels in thesis Farida Middin,The Difficulties of Students in Finding Main Idea and Supporting Detail Text in Reading Comprehension of Second Year of Students of English Department in STAIN palopo,(palopo, 2007), p.13
Oktavianti, O. (2016). Pengaruh motivasi berprestasi dan cara belajar terhadap prestasi belajar siswa SMKN 5 di Kota Batam. JURNAL DIMENSI, 2(3).
Setiawan, E. (2019). STUDI PERBANDINGAN MODEL PEMBELAJARAN SNOWBAL THROWING DENGAN PEMBELAJARAN KONVENSIONAL TERHADAP AKTIVITAS DAN HASIL BELAJAR DASAR PERANCANGAN TEKNIK MESIN (DPTM) SISWA KELAS X JURUSAN TEKNIK MESIN SMK NEGERI 1 BUKITTINGGI. Ranah Research: Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development, 2(1), 238–243.
Wadirman, A., Jahur, M. B., & Djusma, M. S. (2008). English in Focus for Grade VIII Junior High School (SMP/MTs). Jakarta: Pusat Perbukuan Departemen Pendidikan Nasional.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the Foster JELT, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with Foster JELT agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the Foster JELT right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the Foster JELT published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.