Main Article Content
This research was directed to find out whether there any significant correlation between students' critical thinking and argumentative writing skill in IAIN Bukittinggi. The researcher found several problems in the field, the problems were students got difficulties in starting and developing their ideas into writing a paragraph, they have limited vocabulary in the English language, and some of the students don’t use transition signals. This research employed a correlation design. The population of this research was the students of the fifth semester in Iain Bukittinggi. The researcher used random sampling were the students of class 5A, class 5B, and 5C to get the sample of the research. In collecting the data, the researcher used a reading test to know of students of critical thinking, and the researcher used of writing test to know of argumentative writing essay. The data were processed and analyzed by SPSS 22.0 Statistic technique of product-moment t-test formula and consulted the result into t-table with the level of significant α = 0.05.The result of this study by the correlation coefficient (r-x-y) 0,787. It shows that there was a high correlation between students' critical thinking and argumentative writing, it included the scale of r interpretation score between 0,60- 0,79. Furthermore, with df =25. And the level of significance 0,05 (α= 5%) obtained 0,396. So , try = 0,787 > t table 0,396. So, Ha was accepted and Ho was rejected. It means that there was a correlation between students critical thinking and argumentative writing skill.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Brown, Douglas, H. (2000). Teaching by Principles An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. Longman.
- Cottrell, Stella. (2005). Critical Thinking Skills: Developing Effective Analysis and Arguments .New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Danial Fatemeh Miri and Babajani Azizi.( 2018) .The Effect of Teaching Critical Thinking on Iranian EFL Learners' Essay Writing, Jounal Theory and Practice in Language Studies, Vol. 8, No. 5
- Dole, Ivan G. North Lake College, (2012 ).Make the grade with reading Coursemate: Activate college reading. (Australia • United Kingdom • United States
- E.Kuebli , Janet And Richards D.(2008 ). “ Critical Thinking In Critical Courses, Principles And Application, In Dana S. Dunn, Jane S, Halonen And Randolph A. Smith (Eds). Teaching Critical Thinking In Psychology. A Handbook Of Best Practices.(Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell
- Fatemeh Miri Danial and Babajani Azizi, The Effect of Teaching Critical Thinking on Iranian EFL Learners' Essay Writing, Jounal Theory and Practice in Language Studies, Vol. 8, No. 5
- Harmer, Jeremy(2001).The Practice Of English Language Teaching, Third Edition : Completely Revised And Updated , Longman 2000.
- Muhammad, I., & Duriani, D. (2015). A SURVEY OF STUDENTS� LANGUAGE LEARNING STRATEGIES AND THEIR ENGLISH LEARNING ACHIEVEMENT IN SMA NEGERI 1 PALOPO. IDEAS: Journal on English Language Teaching and Learning, Linguistics and Literature, 3(2). doi:https://doi.org/10.24256/ideas.v3i2.146
- James A. Reinking, Robert A. von der Osten , (2016). Strategies for Successful Writing [11 ed.] (Pearson
- M.Fahim & M.Mirzaii,(2014) Improving EFL Argumentative Writing : A Dialogic Critical Thining Approach, International Journal of Research Studies In Language Learning. Vol.3
- Margono, (2007).Methodology penelitian pendidikan, edisi kelima.Jakarta : PT. Rineka Cipta.
- Richards and R. Schmidt, Jack C. (2010), Longman Dictionary Of Language Teaching And Applied Linguistics, British : Longman – pearson Education, 4 th ed
- Langan,John. (2007). College Writing Skills, New York: Mc-Graw-Hill Companies, 6th Edition.
- L.Epstein, Richard and Carolyn, (2005). Critical Thinking . Australia : Thomson Wadsworth.
- Margono, (2003). Methodology penelitian pendidikan, Jakarta : Rineka Cipta.
- Oshima Alice, and Hogue Ann.(1999). Writing: Academic English Third Edition:
- Weigle, Sara Cushing. (2002) Assessing Writing. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- Schwalm, Karen, (2007)“Rubric For Assesments of The Argumentative Essay http://web.gccaz.edu accessed on April 17.
- Sugiono, Ahmad .( 2014). The Relationship Between Critical Thinking Ability And Writing Ability.
- Sugiyono. (2008). Metode Penelitian Pendidikan:(Pendekatan Kuantitatif, Kualitatif dan R & D). Alfabeta.
- Vyncke, Michelle, (2012)The Concept and Practice of Critical Thinking in Academic Writing: An Investigation of International Students’ Perceptions and Writing Experiences :London
- Wahid, A., & Marni, S. Content Area Literacy Strategy for Argumentative Writing Learning in Higher Education. ISCE : Journal of Innovative Studies on Character and Education
- Washburn, Phil. (2010) .The Vocabulary of Critical Thinking, New York : Oxford University Press, Inc,
- Watson and Glaser.( 2012) .The Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Appraisal (W-GCTA), (London: Pearson Education Ltd.