Main Article Content
The purpose of this study was to investigate the factors that contribute to students' English writing anxiety in the Science 11 class at UPT SMAN 11 Luwu. Students' levels and causes of writing anxiety in English are described (cognitive anxiety, somatic anxiety, and avoidance behavior). Descriptive statistics were used for this investigation. Simple random sampling was used to select a sample of 68 students from the population of eleventh-grade students in a science class. The Causes of Second Language Writing Anxiety Inventory (CSLWAI) by Rezaei and Jafari was used to describe the main factors that contribute to students' writing anxiety, and the Second Language Writing Anxiety Inventory (SLWAI) by Cheng was used to analyze students' anxiety levels. SPSS version 22 and Microsoft Excel 2019 were used to find the mean and percentage of the data, respectively. Students who reported high levels of writing anxiety were statistically typical (M=73.06>65). Inadequate writing technique, linguistic difficulties, a lack of practice, and time constraints are also major contributors to students' writing anxieties.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Ari Prasetyaningrum, Adib Nazri, Maman Asrobi, “A Study of Learners’ Writing Anxiety in EFL Context”, Jo-ELT; Journal of English Language Teaching, Vol.8, No.1, p.19-31.
- Hasanah, R. N., & Kammaluddin, K. (2019). Students’ Anxiety in Learning English (A Case Study in SMA Negeri 1 Lawa). Journal of Language Education and Educational Technology (JLEET), 4(2), 43-56.
- Hassan, B. A. (2001). The Relationship of Writing Apprehension and Self-Esteem to the Writing Quality and Quantity of EFL University Students.
- Horikawa, M., & Yagi, A. (2012) The relationships among trait anxiety, stated anxiety and the goal performance of penalty shoot-out by university soccer players. PloS one 7(4), e35727. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0035727
- Kurniasih, K. (2017). Writing Anxiety in Relation to High Performing Students English Compositions. BRIGHT: A Journal of English Language Teaching, Linguistics and Literature, 1(1). https://doi.org/10.29100/bright.v1i1.243.g124
- Kusumaningputri, R., Ningsih, T. A., & Wisasongko, W. (2018). Second Language Writing Anxiety of Indonesian EFL Students. Lingua Cultura, 12(4), 357-362. https://doi.org/10.21512/lc.v12i4.4268
- Lena, N. A. J., & Mursalim, M. An Analysis of Students’ Anxiety and Self-Efficacy in Writing at English Department of Halu Oleo University. Journal of Teaching of English, 4(2), 151-162. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.36709/jte
- Masriani, E., Mukhaiyar, M., & Wahyuni, D. (2018). Writing Anxiety and Writing Strategies used by English Department Students of Universitas Negeri Padang. Lingua Didaktika: Jurnal Bahasa dan Pembelajaran Bahasa, 12(1), 76-85. http://doi.org/10.24036/ld.v12i1.8766
- Nugroho, A. A., & Ena, O. T. (2021). Writing Anxiety among EFL Students of John Senior High School. IDEAS: Journal on English Language Teaching and Learning, Linguistics and Literature, 9(1). http://10.24256/ideas.v9i1.1885
- Prasetyaningrum, A., Nazri, A., & Asrobi. M. (2021). A Study of Learners’ Writing Anxiety in EFL Context. Jo-ELT (Journal of English Language Teaching) Fakultas Pendidikan Bahasa & Seni Prodi Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris IKIP, 8(1), 19-31. https://doi.org/10.33394/jo-elt.v8i1.3707
- Putri, A. R. P. A. R. (2020). A Study of Students’ Anxiety in Speaking. Journal of Education, Linguistics, Literature and Language Teaching, 3(01), 35-47. https://ejurnalunsam.id/index.php/ELLITE/article/view/2177
- Rezaei, M., & Jafari M. (2014). Investigating the levels, types, and causes of writing anxiety among Iranian EFL students: A mixed method design. Procedia- Social and Behavioral Sciences, 98, 1545-1554. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.03.577
- Setiyawan, H., Rochsantiningsih, D., & Setyaningsih (2019). E. Improving Students’ Writing Skill Using Animated Video. English Education, 7(3), 343-352. https://doi.org/10.20961/edj.v7i3.35968
- Suriansih, M., Mahmud MY., Abadi, A. (2020). The Correlation Among the Students’ Writing Motivation, Writing Anxiety and Writing Ability at SMP Ahmad Dahlan Kota Jambi. PhD. diss., UIN Sultan Thaha Saifuddin Jambi, 2020. http://repository.uinjambi.ac.id/id/eprint/6059
- Syarifudin, S. (2020). Survey on EFL students’ writing anxiety: level, types, and causes. Eralingua: jurnal Pendidikan Bahasa Asing dan Sastra, 4(2), 122-132. https://doi.org/10.26858/eralingua.v4i2.13925
- Wahyuni, S., & Umam M. K. (2017). An analysis on writing anxiety of Indonesian EFL college learners. JEELS (Journal of English Education and Linguistics Studies), 4(1), 105-128. https://doi.org/10.30762/jeels.v4i1.333