Main Article Content
This study explores the process and obstacles of bilingualism at SMP Muhammadiyah 3 Yogyakarta. The research was descriptive qualitative research. The samples of this research were 20 students. The data used were collected from observation, questionnaires, interviews, and documentation. This data sources were students of grade VIII and one English teacher at SMP Muhammadiyah 3 Yogyakarta. Data analysis was performed using a Linker's scale for questionnaire data, data reduction, data presentation, verification, and conclusions. The results showed that students' interactions with students and students with teachers in the bilingual class of SMP Muhammadiyah 3 Yogyakarta in the learning process were still ineffective and experienced difficulties that hinder the interaction process. The findings were as follows (1) Students still felt insecure if they had to use full of English to interact with friends in a bilingual class, they still felt afraid of mispronouncing English correctly and adequately, they did not master vocabulary well, and they used English in bilingual with the teacher only in the classroom. (2) The obstacles that students experienced in the teaching and learning process in a bilingual class as follows: Students still felt ashamed to use English to interact in a bilingual class, they still taught that using English was not a necessity in a bilingual class, sometimes, Bahasa Indonesia was still a language to interact with friends, and they were still afraid of using English by with excellent and correct English in pronunciation.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Artini, L. P. (2011). Persepsi Guru Dan Siswa Terhadap Penggunaan Bahasa Inggris Di Kelas Bilingual Di Sekolah Menengah Atas Berstatus Rsbi Di Bali. Jurnal Ilmu Pendidikan, 17(4), 307–312.
- Brown, H. D. (2001). Teaching By Principles: An Interactive Approach To Language Pedagogy. New York: Pearson Education.
- Chaudron, C. (1998). Second Language Classrooms. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Creswell, J. (2012). Educational Research: Planning, Conducting And Evaluating Quantitative And Qualitative Research (Fourth Edi). Boston: Pearson Education. Retrieved From Http://Www.Ghbook.Ir/Index.Php?Name=فرهنگ و رسانه های نوین&Option=Com_Dbook&Task=Readonline&Book_Id=13650&Page=73&Chkhashk=Ed9c9491b4&Itemid=218&Lang=Fa&Tmpl=Component
- Danuri, & Maisaroh, S. (2019). Metodelogi Penelitian Pendidikan. Yogyakarta: Samudra Biru (Anggota Ikapi).
- Depdiknas. (2006). Kurikulum Tingkat Satuan Pendidikan. Jakarta: Departmen Pendidikan Nasional.
- Istianti. (2009). Implementasi Pembelajaran Bilingual Sebagai Wujud Rintisan Sekolah Berstaraf Internasioal. Surakarta: Universitas Sebelas Maret Surakarta.
- Jayanti, D., & Sujarwo, A. (2019). Bilingual Education In Indonesia: Between Idealism And The Reality. Script Journal: Journal Of Linguistic And English Teaching, 4(1), 12. Https://Doi.Org/10.24903/Sj.V4i1.271
- Kasari, Y. (2013). Analisis Penerapan Bilingual Class Guna Meningkatkan Keterampilan Bahasa Inggris Siswa. Jakarta.
- Maharani, A. A. P., & Widhiasih, L. K. S. (2016). Respon Siswa Terhadap Umpan Balik Guru Saat Pelajaran Bahasa Inggris Di Sd Saraswati 5 Denpasar. Jurnal Bakti Saraswati, 5(2).
- Maharsi, I. (2016). The Importance Of Input And Interaction In Second Language Acquisition. Journal Of English And Education, 5(1), 45–53. Https://Doi.Org/10.20885/Jee.Vol5.Iss1.Art4
- Miles, M., & Huberman, A. M. (1994). Qualitative Data Analysis. Newbury: Ca Sage.
- Purwanti, K. A., Adiwijaya, P. A., & ... (2020). The Implementation Of Bilingual Education At Bali Bilingual School Kindergarten (A Case Study). … Language Teaching …, 1–15. Retrieved From Http://E-Journal.Unmas.Ac.Id/Index.Php/Joselt/Article/View/704
- Santos, L. M. Dos. (2019). Bilingual English Education: Expectation Of Parents Who Enrol Their Children In Bilingual Primary Schools. International Journal Of Instruction, 12(4).
- Sembiring, L. T. A. B. (2018). Researching Students’ Interaction In Collaborative Learning Class. Jall (Journal Of Applied Linguistics And Literacy), 2(2), 125. Https://Doi.Org/10.25157/Jall.V2i2.2197
- Sugiyono. (2009). Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif Dan R&D. Bandung: Alfabeta.
- Surdyanto, A. (2018). A Brief View On Bilingual Schools In The Capital Of Indonesia. Ijee (Indonesian Journal Of English Education), 5(1). Https://Doi.Org/10.15408/Ijee.V5i1.8018
- Yuliani, R. (2010). Interaksi Social Dalam Kelompok English Public Speaking Club (Eps) Di Smp-Sma Semesta Bilingual Boarding School Gunungpati Semarang. Semarang: Universitas Negeri Semarang.