Main Article Content
This research about Developing Students’ Vocabulary by Using Magic Box Game at the Eighth-grade of SMPN 8 Palopo. The research question of this research was Does The Use of Magic Box Game Develop Students’ English Vocabulary at SMPN 8 Palopo. The objective of this research was to find out whether or not the use of magic box games can develop students’ English vocabulary. This research applied quasi-experimental. The population of this research was the eighth-grade students of SMPN 8 Palopo. The population was 283 students. the sample was class VIII 2 consisted of 30 students as an experimental group and class VIII 9 consisted of 30 students as the control group. The sampling technique in this research was purposive sampling. The instrument of the research was a vocabulary test. The researcher gave pretest and posttest to the students. As a result, there was a significant difference in vocabulary achievement between the students who are taught by using magic box game and those who are taught by non using magic box game. Based on the result of this research, the researcher concluded that the magic box game develops the students’ vocabulary.
In submitting the manuscript to the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Anwar, L., Furwana, D., & Iksan, M. (2020). Developing Reading Worksheet for Tenth Grade Students of SMA Negeri 4 Palopo. FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(1), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.24256/foster-jelt.v1i1.2
- Wiraldi, Jufriadi, M. I. (2020). Improving Vocabulary Mastery Of The Seventh Year Students Using Scattergories Game In SMP Negeri 8 Palopo. FOSTER: Journal of English Language Teaching, 1(2), 159–167.
- Collie. (1971), The Key to English Vocabulary. London: Macmillan.
- Creswell John W., (1994) “Research Design Qualitative &QuantitativeApproaches, Landon NewDelhi:Sage Publication Internasional Educational andProfessional Publisher Thousand Oaks.
- Dibdyaningsih,Haris. Efffect of Magic Box Innovating Interactive Media and TeachingVocabulary.STKIPALHIKMAHSurabaya.Online:Journal.Ikkippgrimadiun.ac.id/index.
- Echols, Jhon M., & Hasan Shadili. (1995), KamusInggris-Indonesia.Jakarta : PT. Gramedia Pustaka.
- Gay L.R and dkk, (1981). Education Research, tenth edition, US
- H. Brown Douglas.(2003), Language Assesmen: Principle and Classroom
- Practieces. San Fransisco, California: Person Longman.
- Hornby, A.S. (1995), the advanced learners dictionary of current English. 5th Ed; NewYork: Oxford University Press.
- Harmer, Jeremy. (1992). The practice of English Language Teaching. New York: Longman Publishing.
- Jack, Richards., &Renandya Willy A. (2002) Methodology in Language Teaching an Anthology of Current Practice. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Kitao, Kenji. & S. Kathlen Kitao. (2002). Testing Vocabulary. Online: http://www.:mifi.gof/parnershipforreading/publishings/readingfirstvocab.html Accessed on September 10th.
- Kramer,Wolfgangr,(2017).Blog.http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/WhatIsaGame.shtml.Accessed at juni 07th.
- Mansher, Martin. (1995). Oxford Dictionary. New Edition; New York: Oxford University Press.
- Nunan, David. (1991), Language Teaching Methodology, A Test Book for Teacher. New York: Percentile Hall Internasional.
- Rivers, Wilga. (1981). Teaching Foreign language. 2nd: Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.
- Rosenthal Marilyn S,” The magic boxes: pre-school children’s black and standard English”york college, city Univercity of New York.
- Rosenthal, (1974), https://web.stanford.edu/~eckert/PDF/.
- Sardiman,Arief. Media Pendidkan. Jakarta: Rajawali Press.
- Santri4wan’s,(2016).Blog.,http://santri4wan.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/defenitiongame/Accessed at January 11th.
- Saricoban.,&Metin,(2016).http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/Aryicles/htm. Accessed at January 11th.
- Schmitt (2000) https://www.iises.net/international-journal-of-teaching-edu.
- Sudijon, Anas. (1995). PengantarStatistik Pendidikan. Jakarta: PT. Raja GrafindoPersada.
- Sugiyono. (2015). MetodePenelitian Pendidikan. cet.XVIII; Bandung: Alfabeta.
- Teacher and Students, (2017). SMPN 8 Palopo,Jl.AgatisBalandai Palopo.April,3th
- Tarsan, Rais. (2013). Teaching Vocabulary Through Word Association Game at the Eight Grade Student of MTS AL-Mawatsir Padang Kalua. Thesis STAIN Palopo.
- Thorndike and Woodworth on transfer Cronbach, (1957).
- Ur Penny. (1996), A Course in Language Teaching. Cet. I; New York: Cambridge University Press.